Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Diagnosis

So a few weeks ago I decided that I needed to talk to a professional because I was constantly angry with Jared. I went and talked to someone and they recommended that I see the psychiatrist. The next day I talked to the doctor and she diagnosed me with Post Partum Depression. It was quite amazing that I didn't recognize the signs until the meeting with the doctor. Plus it's been a while since I had given birth, but some of the signs were very apparent. Most of them included anger and intolerance, most of which comes on very quickly. I can see it now in my family and in my previous calling at church as Primary President and also in my job. I have started taking some medication and also will be going to therapy.

I was talking with my sister-in-law the other night I mentioned it to her and she said there was an article about it in the Ensign recently. I looked it up online and read it last night. It was a great article and something about which I know very little about but plan on education myself. Thank goodness for people who have gone through this before and have been willing to share their stories. I figured I'd share mine too as it may help someone else and it will help me for sure. So if you know any resources that would help me out, I'd be more than willing to listen. My doctor said that if it doesn't get treated and I were to get pregnant again there could be even more of the signs and worsening of the disease if I don't take care of this now. So for now, no babies until I get this under control.

4 comments:

The Highlands Mathis said...

Amen! This is truly a case of take time to take care of yourself now to prevent really bad things happening later. Way to accept the challenge!

Lindsey said...

You'll be in my prayers. Please let me know if there's any way I can help. If you'd like to run out and get some ice cream, get away from the house, and chat, I'm all yours!

Jeanette said...

Sharing your thoughts and feelings with others is a great way to deal with depression, and it helps other people know that they are not alone! I want you to know that you are not alone. I love you and am confident that you will work through this!!!

wendy holt said...

Good for you! My husband (a psychiatrist) sees so many people who don't get anything under control and the outcome is devastating. I am so glad you are talking to someone!